Extended Learning / After School and Summer Programs
We believe that all students can be safe, supported, engaged, and achieving beyond the hours of the normal school day. A partnership of diverse community members and organizations can have shared ownership in creating these exciting learning environments.
Right now, we are working to answer the following questions in hopes of identifying promising practices for extended learning organizations, after-school, and summer programs.
1. How can “school” and “after-school” experiences be mutually supportive of student success?
- How can must we re-imagine the traditional 8 to 3 learning day to meet the needs of families and foster student learning?
- What partnerships will align student learning throughout the day?
- How can out-of-school time integrate academic and enrichment activities?
2. How can schools and after-school programs agree on shared outcomes and accountability measures?
- What constitutes meaningful evidence of student learning, engagement, leadership, and character development?
- What short and long-term academic outcomes are realistic for after-school programs?